Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Vampire Empire Book One: The GreyFriar


Vampire Empire
Book One: The GreyFriar
By Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith

Summary (from GoodReads):

Vampire predators run wild in this exciting steampunk adventure, the first in an alternate history trilogy that is already attracting attention. In 1870, monsters rise up and conquer the northern lands, As great cities are swallowed up by carnage and disease, landowners and other elite flee south to escape their blood-thirsty wrath. 

One hundred fifty years later, the great divide still exists; fangs on one side of the border, worried defenders on the other. This fragile equilibrium is threatened, then crumbles after a single young princess becomes almost hopelessly lost in the hostile territory. At first, she has only one defender—a mysterious Greyfriar who roams freely in dangerous vampire regions.

-----------------------

I have been itching to write a review for this book while reading it.

There are quite a few things that I must comment. At first, it was hard for me to follow the flow of the story. I am not acquainted with aristocracy details such as positions within the government. I also had a hard time with the detailed descriptions of the whole setting especially about the airships. For me, it was a little information overload. But everything was necessary to build up the setting and the story which blossomed something beautiful.

Descriptions of the settings as well as the action are quite cinematic. I have no doubt that it would make an awesome movie to see it come to life.

I love the intricate details in the story (even if I had a hard time understanding them). I think the flow of the story is nicely done - very consistent as well as unpredictable.  For the plot, I think, is finely laid out. You can feel that the plot of the story slowly untangles itself as you read it.

It is hard for me to describe the characters in the book without spoiling some of the story but I will try and will keep it brief. For the characters, in general, they were constructed to evolve through the events happening within the book.  

--- Spoiler alert ---

I stumbled upon this book because I was looking for steampunk romance novels, which, surprised me, why this book is in the steampunk genre. Well, yes it used steamed airships, in the Victorian era and wielded advance technology but the technology is not very advanced like nanobots and that stuff like The Iron Duke series. True, I have not yet explored in depth steampunk novel and I am dying to do so. I would not say I am an expert to not categorize it in steampunk genre.

I would also say that it is not the typical YA novel. Unlike what I am used to, thank God, at least the main character (Adele) is not compelled to love Grayfriar because of a gut feeling. The love between them was developed through spending time with each other as well as saving each other’s lives which I will point out is flat-out romantic. It is not cheesy giddy romantic but enough to make you coo. The authors also gave an idea that Adele might consider caring for her Intended. It is good to keep the main character’s options open.  

The juxtapose characters of Gareth and Greyfriar is genius. It is like Prince turned to Robin Hood and vice versa. The idea is simple but it made the hero a whole more dramatic.

----------------------

I love books where I am left second guessing myself and keep me on the edge. I give it 5 dancing stars! This series is definitely going to my favorites list

No comments:

Post a Comment