Saturday, March 31, 2012

Five Flavors of Dumb


Five Flavors of Dumb

by Anthony John

Summary (from GoodReads):

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.


The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.


The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?


Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb

-------------------

I promised one review per week. Then I did not have access to internet at home to do it that frustrated me for a while then  I forgot it altogether. 

Here goes nothing. 

-------------------
My Take:

The main theme is finding the Piper's identity as well as the band's. There is not much romance going on in this book like I am used to in romance and YA themes. I guess the author wanted to focus more on music than the romance side. But there are subtle hints of romantic interests which made the story interesting. 

Another appeal of this book is the music and the band. If you were one of those youth really really had passion in music, I  think you would easily relate on how the band wanted to create music and be heard. I guess I was able to relate because music is a big part of my life. I know how music becomes my release and sometimes I forget about it. Which Piper's character made me remember how I appreciate music and the artists that created them.

I honestly did not read the summary before reading this book. So the main character being deaf took me by surprise. I got worried that it might not have conversations in this book. But once I got started the ball kept on rolling. Piper being deaf and her having no knowledge in music I think is very symbolic. This is because I think no matter who you are, disabled, rich, poor or whatever, you can appreciate music. It touches hearts like no other and changes lives like it did in Piper's.

If you want a bedside story read, this is a good book that will keep you interested. It is not much of a hardcore reading but I enjoyed it as well. I am giving it a 3 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment