Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gypsy

I got dragged by a friend to a folk dancing event on the streets. It was a joyful event. Some people were watching the folk dance, kids are playing all around, some people were buying and some just doing their own thing.

We managed to squeeze in front of the stage where gypsies were dancing. Gypsy girls were dancing. I think it was a dozen of them swaying and singing with the beat. But there was this last girl, the center of attraction.

She was not like any of the women who were dancing. She had a veil that covered her face. She was the most peculiar woman I have ever seen. She was dancing among the girls not caring who were watching her. Her hair went everywhere and anywhere it could possibly reach. I wondered how she could dance so gracefully with layers and layers of cloth on her skin. I wish I can take it of one by one so I could see her dance showing all of her curves.

She danced and she danced in my heart and in my mind. It was as if she was dancing on hot stones barefooted. I watched as she blurred all the images around her until she was the only one I could see. She danced with the fever of the moon glowing behind her back. She swayed perfectly with the beat, the beat of my heart.

With that last step, she took her last pose. The veil on her face was drawn back by the force of her turn. Of all the directions she could have turned, she faced me. It was if the planets, the moon and the sun aligned together.

They were the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. It was as if they have their own soul. Her eyes were like burning emeralds. They were as green as they can be.

Next thing I knew I was chasing her. I thought someone was calling me but it did not matter. I had to know her name! Pushing everyone aside, I raced to catch her, to call her by her name. Just before she reached her cabin, I managed to grab her wrist. I would not dare to hold to it too tightly, I am afraid I would break it into two. Her skin was so soft and had the color of hazel nut brown. I had to pause to catch my breath. I have to hurry before she takes her hand away. With one breath, I managed to say, “Name?” Then I looked at her.

Those eyes, those burning green eyes looked at me burning my soul deep inside. Then, she smiled so softly and whispered, “Allialah.”

I let go. It was too much even for me. “Allialah,” I knew it would follow me forever. I knew I would never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment